Emojis have taken over the world by storm. They're everywhere, from our phones to our clothes, and now they're even attending your cocktail party! This Emoji Martini is the perfect way to show off your love of these little symbols, and it's sure to be a hit at your next cocktail party. So put on your best party face and get ready to mix up some fun!
Emojis first originated in Japan in the 1990s, and they were created as a way for people to communicate using images. The word "emoji" comes from the Japanese words "e" (picture) and "moji" (letter or character), and inspiration from them was drawn from weather forecasts and street signs.
While originally just 176 symbols, there are now over 3,000 emojis that are used worldwide. In 2015, the "Face with Tears of Joy" emoji was selected as the Oxford Dictionaries' Word of the Year, and they've only become more popular since then.
We're going to be keeping it simple today with a straight open eyed emoji, but I'm sure you can see how endless the possibilities are should you want to mix a cocktail with more complex emoji's!
Let's get to the ingredients...
Mango nectar is a sweet and creamy fruit juice made from mangos. It's often used in cocktail mixers and desserts, and it gives this emoji martini a delicious mango flavor and yellow color.
Cold brew coffee is made by steeping coffee grounds in cold water for a prolonged period of time, typically 12 hours or more. This results in a coffee that is less acidic and has a smoother flavor than regular brewed coffee. That makes it perfect for a smooth caffeine addition to this cocktail that should be well received by any espresso martini lovers in your life.
Egg whites are central to any cocktail benefitting from a frothy texture, or in this case pupils of emoji eyes! When combined with the mango nectar and cold brew coffee, it gives this cocktail an extra smooth texture and dreamy mouthfeel.
Now that we have all of our ingredients
It's time to get mixing!
Ingredients (makes 2 cocktails)
- Mango nectar - 1 cup
- Cold brew coffee - 1 tbsp
- Vodka (optional) - 2 shots
- Egg whites - 1 egg
- Use a circular rimmed glass for true emoji shape. We recommend a coupe glass like this.
2. Shake eggs whites in a dry cocktail shaker until pillowy and foamy. Set aside to use for the eyes later.
3. Mix mango nectar, cold brew coffee, vodka (optional) and ice into a cocktail shaker. Shake until chilled.
4. Pour cocktail shaker contents into coupe glass.
5. Spoon egg whites into circles on top of the cocktail to make the eyes of the emoji face. Sprinkle nutmeg in the center for the pupils.
And just like that you've got a whole group of emoji's for your next cocktail party!